Re: Use of .well-known for CSV metadata: More harm than good -- OPINIONS PLEASE

On 3 July 2015 at 11:46, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
>
> (not on the TAG, just adding information…)
>

> > On 02 Jul 2015, at 21:40 , Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <skip>
>

> > It also ocured to me that we ( working with the team at DIG / MIT ) have
> been using rel="meta" for quite a while now (with good results), and I
> wonder if that will become standardized in Linked Data Platform v.next, and
> is perhaps relevant here.  This stuff isnt in Linked Data Platform V1 but
> may be in V2 (there's been about a dozen people interested in carrying on
> the work).
> >
> > For our work, link headers are always used where possible.  But some
> places (e.g. github) dont give you that kind of access.
> >
> > Now, looking at csvw, I wonder should we be using rel="describedBy"
> instead?  The principle behind it is adding meta data to Linked Data
> Platform files, much in the same way UNIX adds inode meta data.
> >
> > In our implementations of meta data we do have standard names such as
> ,meta (rather than, metadata.json).  We also are thinking about rel="acl"
> for access control.  Tho acl was originally tied together with the acl.
> >
> > I recognize a lot of this, is a new frontier, in many ways, it's not
> clear cut, and many people wont be in a position to have a view at all.
> But it is really helpful to hear how others are doing this, and hear ideas,
> to maybe be able to get our ducks in a row! :)
>
> Actually, this is already part of the spec.
>
> The current approach (see, eg, [1] for the details) is a staged approach
> with:
>
>         1. metadata supplied by the user of the implementation that is
> processing the tabular data
>         2. metadata in a document linked to using a Link header associated
> with the tabular data file
>         3. metadata located through a site-wide location configuration
>
> (there is an option for a fourth, non-standard approach of including
> metadata in the CSV file itself, that is a bit special.) Each step is
> 'overriding', ie, if metadata is found for a specific CSV file through,
> say, step #2, then step #3 is not even considered.
>
> The current discussion is whether or not using .well-known for step #3.
> For a data publisher that can set a rel="describedBy" in the HTTP response
> header (which I think everybody agrees is the best option) step #3 is
> actually irrelevant…

Thanks Ivan.  I found some docs about our usage of rel="meta" and rel="acl"
for web access control.

https://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl#rel.3Dacl_or_rel.3Dmeta.3F

The full page provides some more context.

I now wonder if rel="describedBy" is better to align with the csvw work ...