Re: PSA: publishing new WD of URL spec

From: David Sheets <kosmo.zb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 21:32:55 +0100
To: Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@gmail.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com> wrote:

> On September 11, 2014 at 2:12:02 PM, David Sheets (kosmo.zb@gmail.com) wrote:
>> > I believe that accuracy and usability of the URI specification
>> is crucially important to the long-term health of the Web. Neither the
>> existing IETF specification nor the WHATWG URL specification
>> achieve both accuracy and usability. I would like to see a venue for work
>> to take place on the actual formal specification of URI that humanity
>> deserves. Could W3C be that venue?
>
> Could be interesting. Maybe start a community group? Separate docs could be published to compliment the URL spec: e.g., the formal grammar or other bits that make the spec more useful to certain communities.

Thanks for the suggestion, Marcos! I have indeed proposed a community
group to do just that. One small difference from your suggestion is
that we will produce a document similar to the existing standard as
well as a test oracle, test suite, and high-level properties of URI
objects. In this way, the specification will be usable both by
machines and humans.

I look forward to your support
<http://www.w3.org/community/groups/proposed/#urispec>!

Thanks,