Re: Task Force Model

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 20:03:51 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
On Oct 28, 2014 7:58 PM, "Noah Mendelsohn" <nrm@arcanedomain.com> wrote:

> My only concern about this proposal is the implication that TAG task
forces or committees would be something new.

> In fact, the TAG has kicked off both formal and informal task forces for
many years when it deemed them useful. Typically the TAG would ask non-TAG
members to participate, and at least one effort was led by a non-TAG member
(Norm Walsh, who in fact was at the time a former TAG member). I recall
Jeni Tennison leading a very successful task force on an issue that
involved some controversy a few years ago. I forget the topic but as I
recall it was one of the more productive things we did that year.

> So, I think it's often a good idea, but it's not a new one. Our
experience with it has been about what you'd expect IMO: when the topic is
suitable and the chosen membership motivated and willing to work together,
the results have been good.

> Noah

Yes, to be clear, the only "new" thing that I'm suggesting here is that
something already proven useful could be tweaked and used to great effect
as part of normal operating procedure to solve a whole number of issues
(procedural/logistical as well as merely technical).