Re: Draft [URL] reference update to informative text

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:11:10 +0200
To: David Sheets <sheets@alum.mit.edu>
Cc: Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM, David Sheets <sheets@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Cool. So systems that implicitly rely on invariants in URLs should
> just break? Without understanding exactly how the allowable
> identifier-space has changed, I don't see how you can make any
> informed statements about Not Breaking the Web.

Note that this is exactly the reason there is a writing and parsing
section. The writing section being much more restrictive so you have
more chance of being interoperable with existing systems. The parsing
section handles what servers actually emit in practice and software at
the moment needs reverse engineer other software for to be able to
handle it properly. (Not too different from how other syntaxes on the
web work, such as HTML and CSS.)

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/