Re: W3C URN scheme 'root' doesn't exist?

On Jun 23, 2014, at 10:06 , Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

> David Singer writes:
>
>> Since we want permanent labels, I fear that tying them to a version
>> of the spec and its anchors and/or sections, and location, might be
>> fragile.  And, as Robin points out, we don¢t need choice.
>
> The whole point of W3C's usage of undated URIs is so that the location
> _doesn't_ change.  As long as there is a W3C,
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/#attr-trace-kind-subtitles will resolve.
> That's as good a promise as you're going to get (persistence as
> commonly understood is a service-level guarantee, _not_ a property of
> names!).

and when HTML5 moves to HTML6 or 7?  Is the name really specific to this version of HTML?

what if some editor decides to change the name of the anchor (consistently in the document), so now it¢s

http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/#attribute-trace-kind-subtitles

is there really a guarantee of stability for anchor names?

> But I think (if I understand what you mean by version) we agree on one
> thing: I would strongly recommend that the WG uses the form I used
> above, not the .../single-page.html... form, as _that_ URI is
> format-specific, and less appropriate IMO for a name.
>
> ht
> --
>       Henry S. Thompson, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
>      10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440
>                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
> [mail from me _always_ has a .sig like this -- mail without it is forged spam]

David Singer
Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.