Re: W3C URN scheme 'root' doesn't exist?

David Singer writes:

> Since we want permanent labels, I fear that tying them to a version
> of the spec and its anchors and/or sections, and location, might be
> fragile.  And, as Robin points out, we donąt need choice.

The whole point of W3C's usage of undated URIs is so that the location
_doesn't_ change.  As long as there is a W3C,
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/#attr-trace-kind-subtitles will resolve.
That's as good a promise as you're going to get (persistence as
commonly understood is a service-level guarantee, _not_ a property of
names!).

But I think (if I understand what you mean by version) we agree on one
thing: I would strongly recommend that the WG uses the form I used
above, not the .../single-page.html... form, as _that_ URI is
format-specific, and less appropriate IMO for a name.

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk