Re: Food for thought (resurfacing)

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 09:22:31 -0400
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, Marc Fawzi <marc.fawzi@gmail.com>, Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 7/30/2014 12:14 AM, Alex Russell wrote:
>     Could it also be due to the fact that the architectures of the systems
>     are tremendously different,
>

> They're really not. ChromeOS is Linux-derived.

Ignoring for the moment the tremendous range of complexity of Linux-derived
systems (e.g. smartwatch to Red Hat Enterprise Linux), your comparison was
to Windows. Windows is a system with a notoriously large, complex, and in
some ways ad-hoc API surface area and internal structure. Worse, it has a
user-extensible device driver ecosystem supporting a far wider range of
hardware than I would expect to Chrome to support, and often windows does
it with privileged device drivers. That was the comparison I thought you
were over-simplifying. I would expect that even with auto-update on both,
the differences in TCO might well be significant, and very possibly due to
the complexities I've mentioned here.

Noah