Re: A proposal for revising the rules on TAG Participation

On 16 July 2014 16:34, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> small. The set of sponsor firms is fixed at the set of members. So if
> >> this isn't about specific individuals and companies...well, then I don't
> >> know what we're even discussing.
> >

> > We're discussing a *rule* change.  W3C rules last a lot longer than
> individuals' involvement.
>
> I can think of cases where this isn't true.
>
> >>       I have personally seen the highest levels of integrity in many of
> >>     the individuals I have come to know on the TAG and in other W3C
> >>     circles.  And I think the TAG's rule *has* caused a visible loss to
> >>     the W3C's work.  But I think the dangers of a rule change, which
> >>     could cause a different, less visible harm (but not necessarily less
> >>     damaging), still exist and must be considered.
> >>
> >>         If, on the other hand, you look at our body of recent work,
> >>         you'll see
> >>         it's largely the TAG putting the breaks on (and constructive
> >>         comments)
> >>         towards MOZILLA AND GOOGLE sponsored work in various WGs.
> >>
> >>         Categorical statements that can't be reckoned with reality
> >>         deserve to be
> >>         ignored categorically.
> >>

> >>     Reality is that: (a) no individual can be expected to be completely
> >>     neutral when being paid substantial sums by his/her employer;
> >>
> >> Web architecture is also not a cloistered pursuit. I can assure you that
> >> being close to implementers is an asset when discussing the set of
> >> likely and possible solutions.
> >

> > Of course!
> >

> >>     (b) companies can and do manipulate the good intentions of their
> >>     employees, whether or not such manipulation is consciously intended;
> >>

> >> As does all other life experience. The members elect TAG members, one
> >> hopes, for the judgement which is a product of said experience.
> >

> > Sure.
> >

> >>     and (c) even the *appearance* of domination by one company could be
> >>     harmful to the W3C's work.
> >>
> >> That argument demands a discussion of why this is somehow more true for
> >> the TAG than for WGs where specs are actually written and who have
> >> nearly all the power in any specific design discussion.
> >

> > I made no such claim.
>
> What? I just said you haven't made a strong case and pointing out why it's
> weak. Didn't say you claimed anything.
>
> > I don't know who you think did.  But I do think it's reasonable to
> compare the differences between the TAG and WGs.  The WGs generally have
> more members; the TAG has higher stature (in some ways); the WGs turn out
> specs that have much more immediate consequences; the TAG's documents have
> much deeper and farther reaching consequences; there is only one TAG, while
> there are many WGs; the TAG requires much broader web expertise and
> insight.  Others?
>
> This reads an old mode of work into the TAG and perhaps is part of the
> basis for your concern. We have moved away from issuing findings. Instead
> we are doing much more hands-on spec-review work. See, e.g.:

Im not sure I understand the "old mode" vs "new mode" of the TAG, in line
with the comment "the TAG's documents have much deeper and farther reaching
consequences".

One document in particular that I have found far reaching, recently, was
the proposed 209 HTTP code

https://github.com/w3ctag/spec-reviews/blob/master/2014/04/http-209.md

It reminded me in some ways of timbl's sketch of a "paper trail" in design
issues [1] and strikes me as quite architectural.

[1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/PaperTrail