Re: Forced Resignation

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 08:35:54 -0400
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@bisonsystems.net>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>

On 7/3/2014 3:54 AM, Alex Russell wrote:
> Further, I noted that the TAG invites former members to meetings

For the record, that was done occasionally prior to my time as chair. I
chose to do it more regularly because I felt that on balance it was helpful
to the TAG and sometimes to former members. There is no commitment that
such invitations will be extended in the future.

Except when the TAG asks a former member (or other non-TAG member) to help
or participate, such visitors are always viewed as observers. They have no
formal standing, and are expected to use significant discretion as to
whether to occasionally participate in discussions or just to observe. I
never felt obliged to invite a former member if I felt it would be
disruptive. In short, invitation of former members (or other guests) is at
the discretion of the chair in his/her role of organizing the meetings.

Noah