Re: Forced Resignation

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 08:19:27 -0400
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 7/2/2014 3:33 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> I know there are resolutions, but if we're being properly pedantic (and the
> topic is, after all, process) those aren't formal votes. Unless I missed
> something (including while in the room :) those were just straw polls.
> Formal votes take place when consensus fails, they require the group to be
> quorate, votes to be recorded, etc.

You missed something :-). In my time as chair and in my experience working
with other chairs as a member since 2004 (right, not 1994, sorry) most
resolutions and some other matters were settled by formal votes, exactly as
you describe. Quora required, votes recorded, etc. As previously noted, I
considered this particular important when the TAG was agreeing to act
formally as a group, e.g. to take a position on the work of some other
organization or working group. We often would vote formally that the text
of an email setting out such a position was to be sent.

Noah