Re: Current TAG election

On 31/12/2013 17:44 , Brian Kardell wrote:
> My claims are less grandiose than a total indictment of absolute failure
> and I want to make sure they are understood in the proper vein.  As a
> "whole" and despite theoretical goodness - the wider vision and approach
> pursued by W3C during this period didn't work out.   In addition to a
> lot of it just not getting implementation/adoption/lasting acceptance,
> it led to fracturing and frustration in a whole lot of ways - some of
> the most critical commentaries come from former editors/chairs/etc - not
> just regarding the core browser technologies, but especially there.
>   There has to be something we can learn from this.

I certainly wish we would.

Contrary to what is often said, people in the W3C community didn't turn
their backs on browsers and HTML. It just so happened that after the
first browser war, very little was going on in that space so that
innovation had to happen elsewhere. IE did add a fair number of
interesting features but they remained IE-only; meanwhile the others
were largely busy (re)building the foundations of today's major browsers.

When the browser space became competitive again, a lot of the
intervening innovation was tossed out. If there's one thing that I think
we should learn it's to go fish out the babies that were thrown out with
the bathwater. Some of those were really useful, some solve rather hard
problems that we still have today.