Re: [Promises/Futures] Media Capture Task Force call

On 6/5/13 6:48 PM, Alex Russell wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> As part of our agreed work to help coordinate with WG's about
> idiomaticness and cleanliness of APIs, Anne and I joined the Media
> Capture group for a call today to discuss the adoption of
> Promises/Futures in their API. The minutes are here:

Thanks for joining!

> http://www.w3.org/2013/06/05-mediacap-minutes.html
>
> I don't think it's stretching the case to say that the reception was
> something close to hostile, if not outright incredulous.

I agree to that people did not exactly embrace Futures. I think it shall
be seen in light of that the WebRTC is really complex. In addition to
discussing the API design in W3C space, there is a huge controversy in
the IETF - involving about four separate WGs - on signaling and
protocols for setting up the real-time media and data over the network.

I think many are simply exhausted by discussing so many different topics
in different groups, so they want to minimize changes wherever they can.
(Regretfully there was also some arguing that Futures might be in
fashion now but soon forgotten - I think that was beside the point.)

And I think almost no-one ruled out Futures, people more said "let us
wait and see for a bit".