[Promises/Futures] Media Capture Task Force call

From: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 17:47:59 +0100
To: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: Harald Alvestrand <hta@google.com>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>, Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com>
Hey all,

As part of our agreed work to help coordinate with WG's about idiomaticness
and cleanliness of APIs, Anne and I joined the Media Capture group for a
call today to discuss the adoption of Promises/Futures in their API. The
minutes are here:

  http://www.w3.org/2013/06/05-mediacap-minutes.html

I don't think it's stretching the case to say that the reception was
something close to hostile, if not outright incredulous.

Unlike some other groups which I've had the pleasure to work with,
participants here seem to be worried that a relatively minor change (and a
backward compatible one) is a major compatibility risk.

Perhaps further discussion of the acceptance of Promises across the W3C
might ease their minds, and I was hoping those here with more experience
might be able to guide the discussion to a less contentious conclusion.

Regards