Re: DOM, Promises, and licensing

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Jeff Jaffe <jeff@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>    are then copied into W3C documents that this does not constitute any sort
>>    of "forking" or creation of a derivative on the part of the member doing
>>    this?
>>
>>    I don't think I agree; maybe I just don't understand.  If the WHATWG
>> publishes a document and then it is copied into a W3C document that
>> represents a fork of the WHATWG document.  Given the license used at WHATWG
>> the forking is permitted, but it is still a fork.
>>

>  AFAICTS, this is either confused or wrong, depending on the scenario:
>
>    1. If the entire text of the contribution comes from the WHATWG draft,
>    wholesale, and is published there first *by the same person who added
>    it to the WHATWG draft*, the act of adding such text to a W3C draft is
>    simply the act of re-licensing the bit of work *to* the W3C.
>     2. If someone *other than the original author* does this, the W3C
>    work is *derivative* *of the WHATWG work *under the terms of the
>    WHATWG's publication license. It's an open question as to wether or not
>    this would be kosher by the terms of the WHATWG license.
>    3. If the contribution is derivative of other work at WHATWG (but not
>    W3C) and is imported to the W3C draft, we're back in scenario #2.
>
> In no case is "forking" in the direction of W3C -> WHATWG implicated *so
> long as the contribution appears in a WHATWG draft first.*
>

>> The point you make about the W3C license might not even be apropos
>> depending on your responses to the above.
>>
>>>    And is it not based on an *opinion* of the policies in effect with
>>> regards to derivitive works in this area? Is it really necessary to ask the
>>> AC to change the Team's opinion on this?
>>>

>>>  Again, don't understand.  It is not an opinion that our current license
>>> does not permit forking.
>>>

>>  It is the opinion of W3C lawyers *if/how Anne's actions would
>> constitute forking *which is under discussion.
>>

>>  Sure, but Anne's note seems to say that he doesn't work on anything that
>> does not permit forking - which - for better or for worse - is not possible
>> in W3C until we get the new HTML Charter.  W3C lawyers cannot give an
>> opinion that a fork is not a fork.
>>

>  It might be the case that you're talking past each other a bit. The
> proximate question is about the Promises text, written entirely by Anne,
> and which we want to import into the W3C draft. I think we all agree that
> liberalizing the W3C licenses is the right long-term fix, but there doesn't
> seem to be any need to cut that knot to make progress on this issue.
>
>  Can we please focus on that and not the larger question which, by all
> accounts, is likely to get solved soon?
>

> Absolutely.
>
> This is really a very confusing email from you.  To my previous response
> you asked me a bunch of questions which I answered.  Then you disagreed;
> asked several questions about them; then you said that we should not focus
> on all of your questions and only focus on this promixate question.

I'm trying to understand the situation completely myself.

That said, I think we should solve a couple of problems:

   1. get Promises, as spec'd in the WHATWG draft, into the W3C DOM draft
   2. ensure that Anne can edit DOM (if this is easy to solve, it's the
   fastest path to #1)
   3. figure out why we got into a state where he cannot or will not

In any case, I think that's a good idea so I'll focus on this proximate
> question.  And if you want to get back to the larger questions, I suggest a
> phone call because we are clearly talking past each other.

Perhaps.

> I haven't seen the "Promises text", but I infer from what you write that
> this is a specification that Anne has written 100% and we want to import
> that into the W3C draft.  If I am understanding correctly there are
> numerous trivial ways for that to happen.
>
> 1. Anne can contribute it to the Working Group.  (Above you seem to  think
> that he can only do that if I assert some things about the copyright of DOM
> which (a) might not be true and (b) which Anne has not asked for.  In fact,
> none of that is necessary - he can simply contribute it to the WG.)

This is confusing. Perhaps Anne and I misunderstood: contributing seems in
this case simply to be re-licensing his work to the w3c. I agree that this
shouldn't be problematic in any way.

The tactical issue here is who will add it to the W3C spec. And what's the
process for "contributing"?

>  2. If Anne does not want to participate in the Working Group, but gives
> permission for someone else to contribute it to the working group, I
> believe that would be OK.
>
> 3. If Mozilla holds a copyright, then presumably anyone from Mozilla can
> contribute it.
>
> 4. If it is published by the WHATWG, I believe that since they use a
> liberal license that anyone is authorized to submit it to the W3C.  I'm not
> sure I would be happy about doing that unless the WHATWG community were OK
> with that solution, but I believe that there are no legal barriers to that.

Good to hear you're not opposed.