Re: Role of the TAG Re: polyglot…blabla…open web…blabla…

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:04:03 +0100, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net> wrote:

> On 01/31/2013 08:42 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
>>
>> As for the TAG, I think its loyalties need to be aligned with W3C's
>> mission and the public goal to keep the web connected and markets open;
>> not primarily with member needs.

I agree. I was responding to the particular claim that W3C members would
not consider it important to deal with the mass of "dark Web" - people,
industries, governments, organisations who have chosen to use Web
technology not only in public but for their own purposes because it scales
and integrates.

And this is the crux of the question. Are those use cases relevant to the
TAG - so by extension are they part of W3C's mission?

I strongly believe that they are. Taking some subset of usage as "the only
important usage" makes little sense. At a basic level, if it were not so
straightforward to integrate dark web intranets and their applications
with the open web, the web as a platform would be far less interesting to
many of its users, and we would be looking for some other platform that
*did* support this.

cheers

Chaals