Re: Is the P-word? (Was: TAG Decision on Rescinding the request to the HTML WG to develop a polyglot guide)

David Sheets, Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:13:23 -0800:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> David Sheets, Tue, 22 Jan 2013 21:18:00 -0800:

>> The Polyglot Markup spec limits itself to define a subset of the HTML5
>> spec, which permits meta@charset=UTF-8 in both XHTML code and HTML
>> code, whereas the HTML5 spec only permits meta@http-equiv in HTML code.
>
> Are you referring to

<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/document-metadata.html#attr-meta-http-equiv-content-type>?

Yes.

  […]
> This tag seems to be the most appropriate for expressing the
> polyglot-ness of an (X)HTML document. Maybe there is another way to
> declare this authorial intent, however.

The heading of the HTML5 section is 'Encoding declaration state
(http-equiv="content-type")'. Which indicates that it, from a
conformance point of view, is seen as the encoding declaration state
even if "charset" is lacking. And, no, we are not really looking for
any versioning method.
--
leif halvard silli