Re: Highlighting issue of XML support in DOM 4

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:56:18 -0500
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
CC: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Daniel Glazman <daniel@glazman.org>, Norm Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>

On 1/22/2013 9:49 AM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Unlike quote style or intra-tag whitespace, the xml declaration_is_
> is part of the information content of an XML document: the XML Infoset
> spec. [1] defines relevant properties for the Document infoitem.  The
> XML DOM should implement the Infoset spec.

Exactly.

I do think we're at risk of going in circles here, and that's unproductive.
My impression is that the DOM serves at least two masters: those who have
as their fundamental model XML and the Infoset, and those who have as their
fundamental model HTML5. As Henry says, the XML declaration is
unambiguously part of the XML infoset while, e.g., the choice between
single and double quotes on attributes is not. As Henri says, the existence
of an XML declaration is not part of the HTML model, and is from its
perspective a serialization artifact.

If all that's correct, then I think the DOM needs to serve the union of the
two needs, and the declaration information information should be retained.
It should be no surprise that it's exactly those who want a polyglot
capability who are asking to use that attribute with content that is
abstractly HTML.

I'd add it back.

Noah