Re: The non-polyglot elephant in the room

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:45:50 -0500
To: "Michael[tm] Smith" <mike@w3.org>
CC: www-tag@w3.org
On 1/21/13 11:03 PM, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>, 2013-01-21 18:54 -0500:
>
>> Question with regards to what Content-type to use when  I serve HTML5 via my
>> HTTP server to HTML and HTML5 user agents :
>>
>> 1. When I embed Microdata I should indicate Content-type ___________ ?
>> 2. When I embed Microformats I should indicate Content-type ______________ ?
>> 3. ditto when I embed RDFa Lite ____________ ?
>> 4. ditto when I embed  RDFa ________ ?
>>
>> If all of the above should be text/html, then there is a burden for HTML5
>> parser developers, and most will simply ignore XHTML5 (no matter how hard
>> one tries to squeeze this into HTML via text/html).
> I may be missing some part of your point about parsing, but if by parser
> you just mean constructing a DOM, then none of those four introduces any
> additional parsing requirements, right?

I am referring to a parser that would have to produce RDF model based
data from an HTML5 document comprised of fine-grained structured data
islands via any combination of Microdata, Microformats, RDFa Lite, or RDFa.

>   I mean, any stock HTML5 parser
> already handles them. Actually, I think most any existing HTML parser
> already should too -- e.g., the HTML parser in libxml2. As far as parsing
> goes, they're all just additional attributes that the parser doesn't need
> to have any special knowledge about.

Really? And you mean this all works with content-type: text/html .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO