RE: The non-polyglot elephant in the room

Recommendations should be appropriate for the scope that they claim to cover.
A recommendation for HTML which claims to satisfy all of the existing use cases of HTML (for web pages, for email, for embedded devices) has a strong requirement to be appropriate for all of those use cases.

However, the "scope" of polyglot is quite narrow: it is for a narrow set of applications which wish to serve the same content as text/html to HTML tools and as application/xhtml+xml to XML tools. As such, the fact that there are other use cases for which polyglot may not be appropriate -- it is irrelevant.

I don't think the objections raised are taking the claimed scope of the specifications into account.

It is irrelevant whether the use cases are 2% or 40% of use cases currently, the only question should be whether there is sufficient interest.

===
The standards process requires a linked but asynchronous coordination between implementations, specifications, and test cases.  For some period of time, implementations may lag the specification; at some times, the specifications lag behind the implementations.  The fact that some tools purporting to support polyglot lag behind the specification is not a sufficient reason to reject the polyglot spec, as long as those implementations intend to follow the standard once it stabilizes -- that's the reason for the CR phase and identifying exit criteria. So if there are some implementations that don't match the current spec, that is not a reason by itself to reject the spec; perhaps instead it should be added to the "CR exit criteria".
===
Content-type does not partition the space of content. Content-type is descriptive metadata; it is a description of delivery intent, not of any intrinsic property. The *same* data stream can be delivered with different content-types, with potentially different intent and different intent. So the notion of "squatting" on content-types does not apply to polyglot. Polyglot instead is a kind of pun, where the same content can be delivered as multiple content-type values, with the intent of having the same (or at least very similar) results.