Re: [Json] Consensus on JSON-text (WAS: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 19:24:52 -0500
To: Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com>
Cc: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>, JSON WG <json@ietf.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, "Matt Miller (mamille2)" <mamille2@cisco.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
Nico Williams scripsit:

> "datetime" and such are interpretations of more basic datatypes,

An interval of time is not a string, any more than a number is a string.
They are both *representable* by strings, but everything is: you can
represent a human being or the planet Saturn by a string.

> they belong in pre-agreed/documented schema rather than on the wire.

The decision to do so is arbitrary.

--
John Cowan   <cowan@ccil.org>   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
One time I called in to the central system and started working on a big