API design sanity-testing and public-script-coord...

From: Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:40:58 +0300
To: "W3C TAG" <www-tag@w3.org>
Hi folks,

on the public-script-coord list there has been a discussion about better
early review of APIs, and one of the upshots was a request that when a
group starts a new API, they send a pointer to that list. Ideally this
will enable review of the basic design patterns by more people who are
good at developing "javascript-style APIs", which would be helpful.

Web Apps will do this, and I would strongly encourage other groups to do
it too. Having consistent design across all the APIs we offer developers
will help them to learn new ones easily and correctly, as well as make
sure that people who are writing third-party documentation don't get
caught out by unexpected differences.

There is also a draft of a "design API cookbook" somewhere (Robin is cc'ed
to add a link ;) ) that could use some loving, to make it a useful
resource.

cheers

Chaals