US Congressional Committee to revisit copyright law

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:07:52 -0400
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
This seems pertinent to the TAG's work on publishing and linking:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4263212/house-judiciary-bob-goodlatte-wants-to-review-copyright-law

Indeed, although I'm not at all sure we're likely to have anything in good
enough shape to be useful, this Congressional analysis seems to me in
principle just the sort of exercise for which we hoped a TAG finding might
provide useful guidance on technology and terminology (for those who
haven't followed this, the goal of the TAG's work [1] was not to advocate a
particular copyright policy, but among other things to help those who make
policy understand the workings of the Web, and to help them understand how
the technical community applies particular terminology to try to reduce
ambiguities.)

On our call of 18 April [2] we assigned ACTION-801 [3] to publish our
latest draft as a W3C note, with the understanding that it might or might
not be picked up for further work later.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/products/PublishingLinking.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2013/04/18-minutes (not yet available)
[3] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/801