URL work in HTML 5

www-tag readers may be interested in the attached e-mail which links to one
from from Anne van Kesteren [1], which was relayed to the URI mailing list
by Julian Reschke. The e-mail suggests that

> The plan is to obsolete the RFCs. But yes, I will add some references
> in the Goals section most likely. Similar to what has been done in the
> DOM Standard.

Julian raises the concern that RFC 3986 is a Full (and widely deployed)
Standard. I believe this discussion is in relation to [2], which contains
the following related text:

-------------

      2.6 URLs

This specification defines the term URL
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/urls.html#url>, and
defines various algorithms for dealing with URLs, because for historical
reasons the rules defined by the URI and IRI specifications are not a
complete description of what HTML user agents need to implement to be
compatible with Web content.

Note: The term "URL" in this specification is used in a manner distinct
from the precise technical meaning it is given in RFC 3986. Readers
familiar with that RFC will find it easier to read /this/ specification if
they pretend the term "URL" as used herein is really called something else
altogether. This is a willful violation
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/introduction.html#willful-violation>
of RFC 3986. [RFC3986]
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/references.html#refsRFC3986>

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2012Sep/0297.html
[2] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/urls.html

> The plan is to obsolete the RFCs. But yes, I will add some references
> in the Goals section most likely. Similar to what has been done in the
> DOM Standard.

Note this is about RFC 3986, which is a Full Standard.

Best regards, Julian