Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On 6/23/12 2:26 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> Kingsley I totally agree that the net is a robust enough architecture
> to handle a new scheme, and the axiom of 'tolerance' more or less
> guarantees this.  But the question at hand is whether the benefits of
> a new scheme justify the overhead involved.
Let me flip your question around re. http: scheme URIs and Linked Data.

Does the unintuitive nature of http: scheme URI based names warrant the
adoption and comprehension overhead that it brings? Exhibit #1
httpRange-14 imbroglio. Basically, whenever you attempt to explain the
virtues of Linked Data you end up being stymied by the confusion
inherent in http: scheme based names.

> The convenience of acct: in undeniable, but is conveniece a sufficient
> motivation for creating a Internet level scheme/protocol.

The only solution is choice. Is this the only non http: URI in existence?

AWWW is "horses for courses" friendly, so is Linked Data. We should keep
it that way :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen