Re: HTML5 proposes introduction of new family of URI schemes

Martin,

I still do not understand, from your explanations, what value the 'web+'
prefix brings to the table over the status quo.

I get that it would be bad for a malicious web service to try to trick the
user into associating all http traffic with it. However,
'web+' doesn't really fix that, instead it creates more problems that it
intends to solve.

The authors of a protocol are likely not the same individuals who might
conceive of the idea of a web-based handler. Seems as if the scheme will
simply encourage
all protocol designers to register their URI scheme with the 'web+' prefix
simply to leave open the prospect of a web-based handler. This defeats the
intended
purpose of the 'web+' prefix.

Further, I notice the whitelist omits xmpp. Is there no hope for web-based
IM, absent a formal change in the spec? Someone better alert Meebo.

It seems to me that a blacklist might better serve to address the security
concerns. Specifically, blacklist those protocols for
which there is a known security threat profile should that protocol be
usurped by a web-based handler. I imagine that list will be fairly short.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Industry and Cloud Standards
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
IBM Software Group, Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: