Re: Certificate Authority Weaknesses [was Re: Issues of concern to the TAG]

To further this point:  Google security researchers have indicated that the
CA situation is so dire that future versions of Chrome may not even bother
with real-time CA checking anymore.
http://www.imperialviolet.org/2012/02/05/crlsets.html

Points of note:

   - For years, browsers have ignored failed certificate validations when
   the CA is unreachable.  Why?  Because you don't want half the internet to
   go down just because Verisign (or any popular CA) has a 30 minute outage.

   - When CAs are hacked, the OCSP caching of certificates for 7 days is so
   long, that all major browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) will just send updates
   rather than wait for the cached OCSP responses to expire.  We've built a
   system where it is more effective to patch 1B users than it is to rely on
   the default security mechanics.

   - We really have no idea who the browsers trust anymore - nobody knows
   the exhaustive list of who has been delegated trusted signature authority
   at this point.

This is a really big problem.  I don't have a good answer.

Mike