Re: Fw: CfC: Close ISSUE-177: ietf-id-wip by Amicable Resolution

Michael[tm] Smith writes:

> Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 2012-01-26 20:44 +0100:
>
>> On 2012-01-26 20:38, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
>> >Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>, 2012-01-26 15:14 +0100:

>> >   --Mike
>>
>> From the boilerplate:
>>
>>    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
>>    and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
>>    time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
>>    material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."
>>
>> (from <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoehrmann-javascript-scheme-03>
>> which HTML5 cites)

I note that this is also what we say in our own W3C drafts:

 This is a draft document and may be updated, replaced or obsoleted by
 other documents at any time. It is inappropriate to cite this
 document as other than work in progress.
> Anyway, as far as disclaimers, you may have noticed that the "Status of
> this document" section of the HTML spec includes text which explicitly
> states (verbatim), "Implementors should be aware that this specification is
> not stable.  Implementors who are not taking part in the discussions are
> likely to find the specification changing out from under them in
> incompatible ways.
>
> That disclaimer implicitly applies to any documents that the spec
> normatively references which also might not be stable.

So, when HTML5 goes to REC, all the references in question will have
to change, right?  Because the disclaimer in the SOTD will go away.

So why not make the changes now, and close the issue?

ht
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk