Re: Future TAG work on "MIME and the Web"

On 2/1/2012 1:44 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> So my proposal (in lieu of any counter-proposals) is: the TAG should
> declare victory (as we did with the HTML5 review) and close the "MIME
> and the Web" product.

I'm fine with this proposal if other members of the TAG are. I'll leave
this pending for a week until the call on 9 February, and if I hear no
requests to the contrary, I will schedule a brief session then at which we
will formally wrap up the work, arrange to update the product page to
reflect the new "work finished" status, close any related actions, etc.

If anyone has a problem with this, or a better idea, please let us know in
time for me to schedule discussion on the 9th. Thank you.

> This is an interesting topic but its scope is way beyond anything
> specific to MIME. I think Jenni has expressed some Interest in pursuing
> this topic.

I'll assume that Larry and/or Jeni may propose work on this, but I won't do
anything until they do.

> c) an interesting note that a Media Type label like "text/html" or
> "image/gif" is in fact a persistent identifier of *something* (a
> language), and the questions about persistence for such things depends
> on having a clear model of what it means to talk about the "same"
> language in the face of evolution, forking, subsetting, overlaps like
> polyglot, etc.
>
> This might be interesting to the TAG, but it's abstract, and Jonathan
> has been the only TAG member so far to really get into the topic to add
> something to it.

Likewise for that. We'll worry about it when and if there are proposals for
formal TAG work.

Thank you, Larry for all the hard work on MIME/Web. Although we haven't at
this time decided to contribute a significant second round of work, I think
the work we did under your leadership that led to [1] was a significant and
successful contribution.

Noah

[1} http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-masinter-mime-web-info-02

Noah