Re: [apps-discuss] W3C TAG Comment on Draft Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:57:27 -0400
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
CC: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Murray S. Kucherawy" <msk@cloudmark.com>, Ned Freed <ned.freed@mrochek.com>, john+ietf@jck.com, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, apps-discuss@ietf.org, tony+mtsuffix@maillennium.att.com

On 4/13/2012 6:34 AM, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> If we wanted to use that with XSLT, we would need to say so within the application/xslt+xml media type definition and deal with the fact that the syntax clashed with XPointer syntax inherited through the use of the +xml suffix.

Shouldn't we consider some overall advice as to whether generic semantics,
with the goal of enabling generic processing based only on the top-level
type is highly desirable in all cases/OK to selectively break in particular
derived type specs/a completely false goal?

Noah