Re: A proposal involving my original reason for commenting on httpRange-14

On 4/2/12 4:55 AM, Harry Halpin wrote:
> First, to be honest - I've been so busy with work that I have not had
> the time to read the 100+ emails on the topic in the last few days, or
> the associated documentation. But given the TAG is meeting in a few
> minutes over this subject I think...
>
> I just want to clarify one thing - I'm not expecting perfect
> philosophical clarity from the TAG, but to solve a mundane engineering
> problem. The required use of 303 HTTP Redirection for Linked Data
> simply raises the barrier of deployment too high and causes excessive
> redirects. While the Linked Data Cloud is impressive, it is only the
> first step. I want the ability to simply upload a RDF file to a
> website, add some links, and call that "linked data". Using 303
> redirection is simply too hard and out of the ability of many people,
> particularly those not using specialized Linked Data Software. Lastly,
> anything done on the level of HTTP codes *should* be possible to do
> via a RDF statement in a RDF file itself. There should be no "HTTP
> Magic".
>
> My proposal has two parts:
>
> First, I suggest we add a "DescribedBy" RDF statement and its inverse
> "Describes". "Describes" allows one to state that one's URI in an
> uploaded RDF file describes (is "metadata about") another URI, and
> vice versa for "DescribedBy". This can also be done by a Link Header,
> but I would think the Link Header would have the same issues as 303.
>
> Second, I suggest that we *not* require the use of 303 or any
> "DescribedBy/Describes" RDF assertion (or even HTTP Link Header). The
> reason is that separating the URI of a "thing-of-itself" from the URI
> of "data-about-the-thing" is simply *not* necessary for all use-cases.
> It can be necessary and useful though, which is why I suggest we give
> "semantically equivalent" options of using 303, a Link Header, and a
> RDF statement.
>
> I'd suggest one way out is also to punt this problem to the Linked
> Data-ish REST-ish WG. However, a quick and clear - even if only
> tentative - answer from TAG  makes sense.
>
>       cheers,
>            harry

Harry,

I would like to just upload a CVS to a location and automagically enjoy
the virtues of an RDBMS. It just won't happen without technology that
understands what that means. The same applies to a chunk of data seeking
to exploit intensional aspects of RDBMS technology, which is ultimately
what RDF is about.

We cannot turn "deceptively simple" into "simply simple" because some
products (e.g. Apache) are unable to deliver a high level end-user
experience without exposing challenges.

What could happen is that we veer more along the lines of the 5-star
Linked Data system modulo any RDF specificity. Net effect, everyone can
publish structured data that links to other structured data since the
star system can handle link fidelity re. actual data representation
granularity etc..

303 hasn't stopped facebook adding 850 million+ Linked Data profiles to
the Web. We still talk about Linked Data as though its just starting
when in fact its already reached critical mass etc.. DBpedia, LOD Cloud
etc.. combined with Facebook and Schema.org == way beyond critical mass :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO