TAG work on SPDY (was: More on SPDY & relationship to buffer bloat)

On 9/23/2011 6:05 PM, Jeni Tennison wrote:

> http://bitsup.blogspot.com/2011/09/spdy-what-i-like-about-you.html

Thanks! Given that SPDY is starting to get this sort of attention and
early-adopter uptake, this seems like a time the TAG might start to get
more serious about evaluating the architectural impact of widespread
adoption of SPDY or similar techniques. Issues that occur to me include:

* Impact on interoperability: the TAG has suggested [1] that the bar be set
very high on replacement of the core protocols that are widely deployed.
The cost/benefit for SPDY may be good, but we might want to take a close
look at the pros and cons.

* SPDY mandates use of SSL. There seem to be several impacts that might be
of concern to the TAG:

   1. Possible impact on cacheing
   2. Applicability to http-scheme names
      and when it is/isn't appropriate
      to use SPDY for such resources
   3. Does this create a requirement to
      have a cert if you host a Web site?
   3. Privacy groundrules might change
      (perhaps for the better) if
      typical Web traffic is encrypted

* If changes like this are to be introduced, is SPDY indeed the right
technology to use?

There may be other pros or cons. I've not listed above the obvious "pros",
which are improved performance, probable reduced "buffer bloat", etc.

I'm curious whether other TAG members agree that this is worth a look, and
if so, whether any of you are interested in taking the lead in at least the
first round of work? We can discuss on the call next week.

Jeni: Thank you again for highlighting this.

Noah

P.S. Adding Jim Gettys to the cc: list. Jim, the threads on this start at [2,3]

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/selfDescribingDocuments.html#stablelayers
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Sep/0027.html
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2011Sep/0033.html