Red herring Re: naive question: why prefer absolute URIs to # URIs for linked data?

On 2011-08 -31, at 17:39, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> Spot on. Couldn't agree more.
> -Alan
>
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com> wrote:
>> I think there are a number of contributing factors:
>>
>> 1) architecturally the meaning of the fragment is determined by the media
>> type of the representation. Thus meaning of a hash URI depends on how you
>> access it.

Let me first declare this a red herring.   It is convenient to
be able to server a file up say in RDF/XML and N3 and content negotiate,
but a condition of doing this is that the meaning is NOT changed between the two.
Any more than if you served a document saying
"It is sunny" in text/html and one saying "it is rainy" in application/xhtml+xml.
Typically with for example rdf/xml and turtle, the same RDF graph is
sent.

We could quibble around the edges of this, but basically
it i not a valuable way to spend time.

And the meaning any document  you get back even if you *don't* use a hashURI depends
on the media type in exactly the same way. So the meaning
of the original URI referred to in that document similarly would depend on the media
type to the same extent.

Now to the more interesting questions in another message.

Tim