Re: naive question: why prefer absolute URIs to # URIs for linked data?

On 10/21/2011 8:28 AM, Nathan wrote:
> The only potential clarity I have on the issue, and why I've clipped above,
> is that I feel the /only/ property that distinguishes an "IR" from anything
> else in the universe, is that it has a [transfer/transport]-protocol as a
> property of it.

Really? Let's imagine something that's pretty clearly a document, e.g. the
text of the US Declaration of Independence. Let's say someone, for whatever
good or bad reason, decides to mint a URN to identify it. I would claim:

* It's clearly within the scope of what was intended by an IR. I was
careful to say that the resource in question is the text of the
declaration, that text can easily be conveyed in a message using an
encoding like ASCII, unicode, etc.

* There is not necessarily a transfer/transport protocol associated with
it, and if there were, the choice of protocol(s) might evolve over decades
or centuries.

The distinguishing characteristic of an IR is that it is ammenable to
(having it's "essence" [1]) conveyed in a message. It is not required that
the means of doing so are spelled out in advance, stable over time, or in
fact ever realized in practice. The declaration is an IR, IMO, whether or
not we choose to deploy it using HTTP at a given time. And...because it is
an IR, status code 200 is appropriate should we at any point wish to use HTTP.

I think the distinction is important.

Noah