Re: naive question: why prefer absolute URIs to # URIs for linked data?

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
> On 10/20/11 4:08 PM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM, David Booth<david@dbooth.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> What document?  Pointer please?
>>
>> Sorry, http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/issue57/latest/
>>

> Jonathan,
>
> I note that you have an entry for information resource in the glossary but
> nothing for:
>
> 1. resource

Other than in the collocation 'information resource', the word is used
only once, and there not in a technical sense. Did you understand it
to be in an undisclosed technical sense? I hate to give up a perfectly
useful ordinary English word (look it up if you want to know what I
meant), but I guess I should reword that sentence to avoid it, since
'resource' has been defined technically in so many different ways,
with so many different connotations, that it is now nearly useless in
web-land.

> 2. non information resource.

If I tell you what a dog is, is it necessary then to also tell you
what a non-dog is?

I do not use this term and take pains not to. I don't even want to
evoke it as a category. The subject has been covered many times on
this list, and this particular report does not need to take a stand.

Since I believe that 'information resource' as a type distinction has
derailed this whole discussion, and if it's useful at all, is emergent
rather than fundamental, I do not want to say anything that suggests
that something exists that is not an information resource. I think
such a world model would be unreasonable, but it is not ruled out by
any consideration that is supposed to arise in this document. And (as
David Booth keeps pointing out) the existence of so-called NIRs is not
forced by webarch-like considerations, only by ontological
considerations, which no matter how compelling, are (as far as I've
been able to determine) out of scope.

It would be nice to eliminate the 'information resource' category from
this document. It just seems to fan the flames. I believe it's
possible - I have done so in other pieces of writing with good results
- but I haven't attempted it in this particular document yet.

> My comments are more to do with completion and less to do with opinion -- my
> views on either aren't a secret to anyone :-)

Appreciated, but distractions can inflame. The fewer the assumptions,
the easier it should be to swallow.

Best
Jonathan