From: Larry Masinter
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:39 PM
To: 'Graham Klyne'
Cc: Michelle Cotton; Alexey Melnikov; Philippe Le Hégaret; Roy Fielding; www-tag@w3.org
Subject: RE: Tracking of pending media type/charset/URI registrations

(Moving cc from tag to public www-tag; noting that this is part of my tag ACTION-531 "Write draft document on architectural good practice relating to registries" taken at the last TAG face-to-face meeting):

I believe that there are a number of voices  who would rather see MIME types, URI schemes, charset declarations, link relationships, and other values now defined as IANA registries instead be maintained in a Wiki (presumably one in which they and everyone else have some editorial control), or by some organization over which they feel like they have some control.

In some cases, groups have 'routed around' the registries by proposing protocols which reuse registered values with other meanings (using a "willful violation").  In at least one case, a  W3C working groups felt that establishing and managing an IANA registry  was inappropriate, and instead started a W3C registry.

I don't think the issue is solely a "web" or "W3C" issue, though. I ran into a similar issue with 3GPP and the media feature registry when I was expert reviewer for those values (used in SIP), which is why I'd like to see if there was a more general IANA solution rather than a narrower W3C solution or an even narrower HTML solution.

I think this is as much a political/power issue than an operational process one.  (I am reminded of the struggle for management of DNS root virtual real estate.)

The fact that the web is full of deployed products and services that happily use unregistered values for  things without IANA entries leads me to believe there is a problem which is broader than "transparency" or "education" or "miscommunication".

I'm wonderin if there is a hybrid approach, where preliminary values can be documented in a Wiki or tracker or other mechanism, but that more open space is also linked to a more "official" registry in which registered values have undergone the review process originally designated for them, including expert review or community consensus.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net