Re: Fwd: CfC: CORS to advance to Last Call

I need to look at the state of play, but if I remember correctly,
concerns about CORS's confused deputy vulnerabilities were raised
(vulnerabilities not shared with UMP). These were answered with a
proposed policy called "don't be a deputy" or DBAD. A request was then
made that this policy be documented and put in the spec as a security
consideration, but I didn't see how this turned out and haven't
checked the latest draft to see if the concerns were answered... will
try to get to this but can't promise much attention to it this week.

Again, memory may fail me but I thought that a "don't send
credentials" flag was added to CORS to support UMP-like access
patterns. If so then one could imagine that a user who came to believe
full CORS was too risky would be given the option, in a browser
configuration panel, to turn off full CORS while retaining the UMP
subset. Or that a browser provider interested in protecting users
might make the same decision categorically. (I know, it's a
stretch...)

I've been playing with an authentication-based (ABAC) sentinel system
called Little Snitch, which is similar to CORS in some ways. It's nice
but it certainly illustrates why it's hard to convince yourself that
ABAC systems are secure - you're confronted with a series of questions
"is it OK for program PPP to talk to host HHH over port NNN?" which
end up being hard to answer because you usually can't assess the risk
that a given program might be a confused deputy. LS tries to give you
some of the deputization stack (call stack) to help you out (again
this is similar to CORS), but I haven't found this all that helpful.

Jonathan