Re: Does the NY Times Paywall Misuse HTTP GET?

On 2011/12/14 13:23, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:

> On 12/13/2011 11:10 PM, Eric J. Bowman wrote:

> I think that calling this a "hit counter" is in the same spirit, though
> not as extreme, as calling something that decrements my back account a
> "hit counter".
>
> Every month the New York Times gives me 20 units of value to spend. They
> happen to be accesses to their published articles. Each time I do a GET
> to one of those articles, my account is decremented.

This is not a technical argument, which means it may be OT for this
list, but:

There is a saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.". If you
actually paid for these 20 units, I could understand your complaint much
better. But it's not that you acquired a right, it's just that you get
something for free.

It's not that the NY Times wants to assure that you get your 20 units
without mistake, it's that they want to make sure you don't get more
than 20 units (and both they and you know there's ways to get around
it). And they probably also don't want to invest too much into an area
where they don't make money, nor do they want to bother casual users
with having to say "yes, I want something for free again" every time.

Regards,   Martin.