Re: TAG ISSUE-25 deep linking

From: Appelquist, Daniel, VF-Group <Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 16:07:48 +0200
To: "Rigo Wenning" <rigo@w3.org>, Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Cc: "Yves Lafon" <ylafon@w3.org>, "tag" <www-tag@w3.org>
On 12/04/2011 11:35, "Rigo Wenning" <rigo@w3.org> wrote:
> Thanks Martin for swiss precision. Evidently, I meant links to other sites
>
> "Martin J. Dürst" <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
>

>>> The court decided that if an article, by its content, is protected by
>> freedom
>>> of speech, the links on foreign web pages that prove or complement
>> assertions
>>> of the text are also covered by the freedom of expression out of the
>> main
>>> text.
>>
>> Should this not be "the links *to* foreign web pages"? Otherwise, I'd
>> take it to mean that if a site A, protected by freedom of speech, would
>
> Rigo

This makes a lot of sense and aligns well with the argument Jeni and I are
trying to tease out of the draft document we are putting together on this
topic: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/publishingAndLinkingOnTheWeb.html

In essence, it we would like to make the assertion that linking is a form of
speech, and so should be protected in the same way that speech is protected.

Thoughts?

Dan