Re: Memo on persistent reference - TAG please read before F2F discussion

Jonathan Rees wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/persistent-reference/
>

> ISSUE-50
> ACTION-444

Very interesting analysis...

A thought that occurred to me while reading through this was that there is a
related notion, which I'll call "fragility", that might usefully be considered.

 From your note:

"In choosing one form of reference over another - traditional vs. electronic,
urn: vs. http:, and so on - one is placing a bet that the form you chose will be
adequately persistent, or at least more persistent than the one you didn't choose."

"Conservative practitioners will probably not want to rely on a URI or any other
short "identifier" string alone for reference - they would continue to provide
references as a combination of conventional metadata (slow to act on) and
machine-actionable forms such as http: URIs. It might be nice if this practice
of hybrid references were codified a little bit..."

These comments also allude to what I mean by "fragility" - that a mechanism that
is subject to a single point of failure (especially when technology-dependent)
is more likely to fail than one that offers multiple routes to resolution.
Maybe it's bit like security: for dependability look to multiple overlapping
layers, such that failure of one (or a few) doesn't leave the system completely
broken.

(In my observation, a problem with http: URIs can be that in many organizations
the HTTP URI space is controlled by a (powerful) marketing department with
little regard for persistence.  This may lead to a certain expectation that HTTP
URIs are transient, despite exhortations that they should be otherwise and the
existence of exemplars that stability is possible.)

#g