Re: ACTION-462: URI Fragments and HTTP redirects

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Jonathan Rees wrote:

> Can you give me an extant URI for which this makes a difference? I've
> been repeatedly assured that they exist, but I don't think anyone has
> exhibited one here.
>
> I'm uneasy because your rule contradicts the architecture. Supposedly
> URIs "identify" resources. The rule makes fragids resolve according to
> different mechanisms depending on the context of use, a violation of
> referential transparency (a.k.a. "uniformity").

A fragid identify a subresource, and is resolved after the derefencing of
the "main" resource. That's where the main difference is, not as a name
but when you dereference.

> There is another way to achieve the same effect that doesn't have this
> problem. You could stipulate that when you try to resolve a fragid
> relative to an element or other document part (as opposed to the usual
> case where you're resolving relative to an entire document), you get
> the whole document part, i.e. the fragid is ignored.

If my reading is right, you say that in case of a redirect, you always
drop the original fragment identifier. That would be indeed another
solution, like saying that a fragment (a sub-resource) is always relative
to the "main" resource, and in the case of the redirect, the
sub-resource->main resource link is broken, so there is no reason it will
resolve.

> Jonathan
>
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Oct 2010, Yves Lafon wrote:
>>
>>> My position on this is that:
>>> * Fragments in redirects have a real value and are already used.
>>> * Fragment recombination can be hard and impossible in the general case
>>> * We need to define a good story for applying a fragment to a redirected
>>> URI
>>>  with a different fragment.
>>
>> And the proposal is:
>> << When retrieving a resource A leads to a redirect to an URI B containing a
>> fragment, any existing fragment on A MUST be dropped in favor of B's
>> Fragment >>
>>
>> Original URI: A#Frag1
>> -> GET A
>> -> 3xx Location: B#frag2
>> Final URI -> B#frag2
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Baroula que barouleras, au tiéu toujou t'entourneras.
>>
>>        ~~Yves

         ~~Yves