Re: Feedback on Internet Media Types and the Web

Hi Larry,

I'd agree that there is definitely a "problem", however it may not be as
big or as complex as one may first believe.

Media types could be bracketed in to four classes:

(1) vendor/application specific
(2) personal types
(3) web standards, deployed or deploying.
(4) generic web scale media types, deployed or deploying.

The existing process for (1) and (2) works just fine, a few of us
recently discussed the need for, benefits and process around the IANA
registry in great depth in the REST community, part of those discussions
involved somebody registering a vnd. type to see how easy the process
was, and it worked swimmingly well. prs is the same.

(3) and (4) was where the problems arise.

As for (3) web standards seem to go through without a problem, however
the non unicode friendly-ness of the text/* media type registry is what
prevents types like n3 and turtle going through, however they could be
pushed in as application/* types (why this hasn't happened I'm unsure?).
However still-deploying (or in development) standards have a problem, as
follows..

(4) is where the real problem lies, there are web scale media types in
very common use which do need registered, but they are not web
standards, and whilst being developed these could be considered
experimental, just as with in-development web standards from (3).

So, I would suggest that the "problem" can be refined down to the
handling of "experimental" types, and the recognition of those types
which are web-generic (like opensearch).

I believe, other than a failure to recognise
non-standards-but-web-scale, that this problem could be fixed easily,
and comes down to the "x-" types. I'd suggest that the "x-" types
approach is wrong, because it classifies non experimental types as
experimental, and requires a migration from x- prefixed to non prefixed.

To resolve this, the approach could be taken of _clearly_ marking
in-development/"experimental" types as just that in the registry, rather
than in the media/type string, along with a change to the RFC(s) which
says that in-development types "may be" recognised by things such as
apache httpd, but are not required to be.

If this were complimented by an initial "is this web-generic or
application specific" review, and then later followed up with a "has
this reached web scale deployment and is it stable" review process, (to
be requested by those responsible for a media type), then it would
provide a clear path for non-standards to become fully registered and
non-experimental, whilst ensure that only those which are generic to the
web get non prs/vnd types.

change-of-topic: Link Relations Registry

Thankfully anybody can already use a full URI in a rel/rev, so one issue
is moot here, however there is still the core registry problem, and
moreover the problem that the same terms, are defined by different specs
or have multiple URIs they can resolve to.

For example, you'll find a "next" in HTML4 and
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab/# and the iana link-relations
registry, so although it's the same term, it can resolve to 3 different
URIs. Meanwhile some HTML5 people would like that wiki of relations, yet
another URI to resolve to.

I'd suggest though, that the problem isn't much of a problem on the
dumbed down real web, where if a rel is "next" it means next or if a
link is "stylesheet" then it's a stylesheet, but more in the realms of
those techs which do term resolution and need to know that:
http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab/#next
equals
http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/edit
or is it
http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations#edit
or even
http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml#edit

XHTML is deployed long since and resolves to the xhtml vocab namespace,
so really it just comes down to techs like grddl and rdf(a), and we
could easily create a profile in a namespace which asserts that these
terms are also known as x & y other URIs, such as in the default RDFa
profile - then encourage the communities where it matters to use this
namespace/profile. This would also prove to be interoperable with any
approach either IANA/IETF or whatwg took, as we can simply assert the
equivalence.

Anyway, I've rambled enough!

Best,

Nathan