Re: mime-web-info 6.1 feedback

Larry Masinter wrote:

> I've read the email below over several times, and I'm not sure
> whether or not you want a change to the current document.
>
> I guess I'm a little slow here, can you help out?
> Which wording do you want a rewrite of? Any suggestions of
> what it should say instead?

My concern regards the wording, "should always be downloaded" as it
implies that a media type definition is capable of dictating such
behavior to user-agents.  My suggested wording would be, "is typically
downloaded."  While I support the notion of clarifying 'applications
that use this type,' such clarification needs to avoid confusing folks
as to the scope and purpose of media types.

You posit the question, "Is there a separate issue for 'auto-play on
download' vs. 'ask user for permission'?"  My answer is that this
issue lies outside the scope of what a media type should define, because
such behavior is the product of application context (user action), not
data type (sender intent).

I could probably be more helpful with wording, if the "Problem" in
5.1.4 were fleshed out -- I'm not sure what the goal is, only what it
shouldn't be (suggesting sender intent trumps user action).  But, I
can't tell if that's what you're actually suggesting, that's just the
impression I'm getting.

-Eric