Re: HyperGrids -- connecting virtual worlds for OpenSim and web arch

Hi,

OpenSim is a 3D simulator which accesses resource services via HTTP,
and which can be accessed via HTTP. Resource services include
identity, assets, inventory, social network, instant messaging, etc.
OpenSim worlds can run as walled-gardens (a-la Second Life, Wow, etc)
or as a web of interconnected independently-operated worlds via the
Hypergrid, like the Web. In the Hypergrid, unlike on the Web, identity
is maintained throughout the user's session as the user goes from one
organization's world to the next, in a seamless and relatively secure
manner (*).

So, to answer the question: yes; for example, here's the address of my
own world: ucigrid01.nacs.uci.edu:9001. I didn't include the protocol
handler, because that can vary and it will have different results. If
you type http://ucigrid01.nacs.uci.edu:9001 on your web browser,
you'll get the standard "Oops" page from my world, meaning that it's
alive, but it's not serving any interesting html content. There's a
bunch more URIs that are served from it for doing specific functions.
For example, agent transfers are done via HTTP POST operations.

If you click on this other link secondlife://ucigrid01.nacs.uci.edu:
9001, it will try to launch the SL viewer, but you won't be able to
visit because it will try to log you into Second Life. (SL doesn't
support the Hypergrid or any other interop protocol yet, it's still a
walled garden)

Once you are successfully logged in to an Hypergrided OpenSim world
(needs some configuration plumbing on the viewer), you can then
navigate seamlessly in the Hypergrid via handlers that have the secondlife://
  form, but will probably have some other name in the future.

Work in progress, still a lot to do, but I hope you'll get the idea of
where this is going: complete compatibility with the 2D Web. But
equally important are (1) architectures for supporting portable
identity among different worlds; (2) architectures for supporting fast
state updates between a world and the clients; and (3) server-side
architectures for performance optimization on serving scenes to clients.

WRT (1) anonymity will be supported, but identity is critical in VWs;
enough people within the OpenSim community believe that it's time to
fix this problem once and for all. Some ppl are looking at OAuth,
others (like me) are doing cleanroom design. Hopefully all this
experimentation will converge. I strongly believe that whatever we end
up with for a web of VWs can be used also for portable identity in the
2D web (and vice-versa, if it gets solved there first in a suitable
manner for VWs, i.e. secure seamless transfers).

WRT (2), these systems have much higher demands on state updates than
your regular web application; you move your avatar, and that needs to
be seen almost instantaneously in all other connected clients, etc.
There's potentially a large stream of these events that need to be
sent to many clients all the time.

WRT (3) there's a whole world of dynamic load balancing waiting to be
explored. Even though proprietary systems like Wow are doing this
reasonably well, we haven't even started to scratch the surface for
generalizing the needs and solutions.

There is work going on in the IETF championed by Linden Lab and IBM
for VW interoperability. Linden Lab hasn't really done much on
interoperability in practice, other than an incomplete prototype of
half of a protocol for passing agents between SecondLife and OpenSim
(but not the other way around, and not preserving access to the user's
belongings). So that work at the IETF is more of a "standardize first,
implement later" kind of approach, whereas the Hypergrid is a
"implement first, standardize later". Assuming that we have the same
system in mind, that is, a truly decentralized web of VWs, then the
efforts at the IETF will converge with what's going on in OpenSim.

Is there any real interest from people in the W3C about this topic? We
really want 3D VWs to stay compatible with the 2D Web. This topic of
3D VWs would be a natural extension of what the W3C has been working on.

Regards,
Crista

(*) Once we established the basic mechanism for moving agents around,
security was the main issue to address. I couldn't possibly make
justice to this issue in this email message. Just this: we're now
about to move beyond HG1.0, which was totally insecure, to HG1.5,
which is reasonably secure.