Re: Copy to Clipboard - ambush and abuse by javascript

On Fri, 2010-06-04 at 19:27 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
[ . . . ]
> The ability to manipulate what a user is copying is also important
> for applications on the Web.  If you're using a Web app like Google
> Docs, you want copy to copy a useful representation, not the
> internal representation that the editor uses.

But it is the *browser* that renders things like HTML, plain text, PDF,
etc. -- not javascript.  Why should javascript be given the ability to
mess with it *after* the user has selected and told the browser to
*copy* it?

When I tell my browser to copy, I expect my browser to *copy* -- not
copy-and-adulterate-under-web-site-control.  When I paste, whatever I
copied may be converted to the destination format for compatibility, but
that's a different issue.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
Cleveland Clinic (contractor)