Re: ACTION-432 and ACTION-422: Maps use case in client side state finding

T.V Raman wrote:
 > Actually the maps use case is well  understood in the sense that
 > it's using server-side params to encode state.

My question is: well-understood by whom?

Clearly, the encoding of parameters in server-side parms is known at
least as far back as HTML forms, and an in that sense, not new.  I find
that many people don't understand how they are used in applications like
Google Maps.  I think that explaining that the option is there, and that
it has proven useful in high value production applications, is worth doing.

 > It's unclear to me
 > at this point whether a system that is entirely server-side
 > params is in some way "better" than one that uses a combination
 > of client-side and server-side params

That's a question I'd really like us to explore, but I'd rather not
presume the answer. Also, I'm not comfortable with the term server-side
only, since the whole point of the Google maps example is that the
client and server agree on the assignments, and both of them conjure up
new URIs as necessary.  Might we call it something like "no fragid
model" or some such.

My intuition is that the fragid-free model might have the following
advantages:

* Conceptual simplicity, relating in part to...

* A clearer story with respect to the applicable specifications:  in
principle, fragment identifiers are, at least sometimes, defined by the
media type specification for the document in question (which in the case
of an Ajax app, begs the question: what document?)  We know that the
fragid architecture causes trouble with, e.g. conneg.  Without fragids,
we say:  "the URI assignment authority has decided that these parm
values identify this point on the map".

* Is there some declarative story about the specification for such
fragids, or is it just: run the Javascript, and it will work?

* Certainly it seems to me that there is a cleaner story on conneg with
the no fragids approach:  you want a JPEG for that map, no problem.

I'm not in all cases against the fragid stuff if it solves a problem.
Maybe you're right that avoiding fragids has no significant advantages,
but I'm not yet convinced.

So, I think what we should probably do is prepare a much more careful
analysis of the pros and cons.  If, as I suspect, there are some
advantages to, when possible, avoiding the munging of fragids, then what
  I'd do is:

* Tell the Google Maps story as a base case.

* Explain the pros, if any, and cons of using fragid munging to get
richer function at the client

If, as you suspect, there isn't much pro or con either way, or the
fragids are a clear win, then it might be worth setting down why that's
the case.

Noah