Re: Version indicators (was Re: [public-webapps] Comment on Widget URI (7))

From: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:17:36 -0500
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org TAG" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>

Le 11 janv. 2010 à 11:19, Robin Berjon a écrit :
> There are very few people out there who could look at an HTML document and tell you correctly whether it's 5, 4, 3.2, etc.

agreed, but they do.

>> Versioning has two very different consequences if we are talking about authoring or consuming.
>
> Certainly, but I fail to see how version indicators help with any of the authoring-related issues: there are too many cases in which authors will get version indicators wrong for it to be a useful tool.

This is the argument of minority versus the biggest number.
Having a mechanism which continues to work even if not respected is useful for the minority who cares.

There are many elements in html which are used by a minority.
There are also elements which are used a lot for doing wrong things (according to their semantics): table, blockquote.

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada