Re: Deep linking barriers in the UK: The Royal Mail

On Apr 25, 2010, at 12:59 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2010, at 7:27 AM, John Kemp wrote:

>>> "Tainting it as a sin"?  I must be missing something.   What is wrong with the word "deep"? as in "not shallow" meaning "not to the highest level of the hierarchy". Can you think of an alternative word for the issue which you would prefer?
>>
>> I believe that the point is that a link is a link, no matter to what place in a hierarchy -- proposed only by the site owner -- it points. So why do we believe that (or talk as if) there is some hierarchy ("shallow", "deep") implied only by a link?
>

> This seems rather disingenuous to me.

I meant it as just another way of saying "URIs are to be treated as opaque" - or at least, that "a hierarchy should not be assumed simply from looking at a URI".

> Sure, a link is a link. But I read the Royal Mail request (as quoted by Dan C.) simply a plea, or warning, that their 'internal' links are labile and liable to be changed without warning, and that therefore it would be unwise to use them as if they were stable links.
> In contrast to the links to the 'top' of their internal hierarchies, which are promised (or assumed) to be more stable. Now, of course, this doubly flies in the face of the standard advice on the coolness of URIs: nevertheless, it seems like honest and potentially helpful advice about how the Royal Mail are failing to be cool in their use of URIs.

I agree - I was simply explaining my understanding of Paul's point, not saying anything more general about the nature of this advice.

Regards,

- johnk