Re: The use of MIME on the web: issues, toward a revised "finding" or joint W3C/IETF document

It seems that even IANA, which I'd say is the definitive source for this
particular feature, is a little unclear about the appropriate definitive
terminology - cf. http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/.

Reading that page, I'd say the term "media type" covers a gamut of values that
can be expressed through a MIME Content-type header, including "Content types",
"Content subtypes" and more.

The term "Media Type" also appears to be sometimes used interchangeable with
"Content Type", and sometimes to mean more (cf.
http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/mediatypes.pl).

So I guess we all have some cause to be unsure what to call these things?

#g