Re: Media Type Sub-Sub-types?

At Mon, 05 Apr 2010 21:27:35 +0200,
Jan Algermissen wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2010, at 8:09 PM, Erik Hetzner wrote:
> > Is there a profile parameter defined for the application/rdf+xml media
> > type? (I don’t believe there is.)
>
> It is defined for HTML and, IIRC, XML, too. It would be straight-forward to
> define it to apply to any media type, IMHO.
>
> However, it is just something I have used somewhere. It does not mean it is
> a good or the best solution.
>
> What I think matters most is to document the client's expectation somehow. The
> rest will be figured out at runtime anyhow.

Thanks for the pointer. A little more research leads me to believe
profile is defined only for application/xhtml+xml [RFC 3236], not
text/html [RFC 2854] or XML [RFC 3023].

Defining it for all media types might be difficult:

| There are NO globally-meaningful parameters that apply to all media
| types. Truly global mechanisms are best addressed, in the MIME
| model, by the definition of additional Content-* header fields. [RFC
| 2045]

Content-features sounds like it might be an interesting way forward.

best,
Erik Hetzner
;; Erik Hetzner, California Digital Library
;; gnupg key id: 1024D/01DB07E3