Re: HTML 5 integration of SVG and MathML addresses ISSUE-33/mixedUIXMLNamespace-33?

From: Liam Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:56:16 -0500
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, www-tag@w3.org, liam@w3.org
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 03:07:25PM -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 12:32 -0500, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Dan Connolly wrote:
> [...]
> > > Have you looked at the integration of MathML and SVG into HTML 5?
> >
> I'm not aware of anything in Liam's proposal that has to do with
> user interface; i.e. screen arbitration, event bubbling, etc.

Correct.  My proposal is only a way to describe the proposed HTML 5
behaviour with the default namespace changing based on a hard-coded
list of elements in the browser, and also to allow users to add to
that list.

If you use Scent elements (say) and the Web browser doesn't
have the necessary smarts (and/or the necessary hardware) to
generate smells, that's a separate problem to the ability
to recognise that the "smell" element belongs to a specific
namespace other than a more recent version of HTML than the
browser author knew about.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/